For Returning Players
From Duelyst Wiki
If you are a player returning after a long hiatus, all the changes happened to Duelyst can be intimidating. Here are described some of the biggest changes and some advice.
Some changes which happened:
- Book Icon - This is a "lore notification" which you can click on the card to read a sample of lore attached. Next to the search bar there's a gear/cog button for additional settings, you can click on it to hide all the lore notifications.
- Purple Coloring - Prismatic Cards, which is Duelyst's attempt at Foil/Golden cards. The only thing they do currently is alter the card front into that purple you mentioned, and a small rainbow effect when played. They disenchant for more spirit (and cost tons more to craft). Most people here just DE them for spirit (it's a bit of a boycott so CPG updates them to be cool/useful)
- Every faction now .has 2 Generals. You can unlock the alternate General by leveling up a faction up to level 11. Generals have different Bloodbound abilities which could mean a completely different playstyle for that faction. (Keep in mind that there are also General Skins you can purchase in the Armory for spirit, they appear as separate cards in your collection).
- Keys are hard to come by, but thankfully crates are purely cosmetic items and you aren't really missing out on much. You can get up to three free keys by doing their "social media follows" thing. They aren't worth buying - if you want keys, join some tournaments or have 12 win runs in Gauntlet.
- You can purchase Orbs with Gold or Diamonds. Gold is only useful for buying Orbs or Gauntlet Tickets, which in turn creates more Orb and Gold (and hopefully Gauntlet Tickets). In other words, Gold = Orbs = Cards = Spirit. Keep in mind that anything you see in the Armory/Shop can be purchased with Spirit, so the game is actually F2P if you can hoard up enough gold.
- Take it slow - you have 4 expansions to catch up on cards and things can get scary.
- Core is still the best investment for most players starting the game. So until you have a solid foundation of core cards, don't go digging into expansions. Here's an Orb Buying Guide by faction created by GrincherZ if you're looking for someone's opinion.
- Join us on Twitch - you don't even have to create an account or talk, just pick up a streamer and start watching. Most of the guys (like Scarzig, Hsuku, GrincherZ, etc) are educational streams with a bit of memes. If you want to, you can also check out CPG's whitelist of streamers in the client by going to the watch section.
- The smaller sets (Ancient Bonds and Rise of the Bloodbound) are different from the traditional orb packages. They include 3 SETS (3x) of a card with no duplicates. In other words, one orb (300g) brings 9 cards (3 unique ones) and since the set only has 39 unique cards, it only takes 13 orb purchases to have the full set GUARANTEED (3900g).